Once Upon a Dreamer

Almost six years ago I was given a prophecy, a word from the Lord. The prophecy stated that I would write a book entitled, "Through My Father's Eyes." It was also said that through the writing of the book I would find healing. I always believed that the title referred to my earthly father's passing and the healing that would take place would be healing of loss and grief. For years I have held onto this word from God. At times I have questioned when it would come to pass or if ever. I believe that God's word is not void and that He keeps His promises, but I have felt so far from this prophecy for such a long time. In fact, I have doubted if any of His promises will be fulfilled despite what I know to be true.

I recently read a few chapters of my dad's book, "Living Largely." Throughout the book my dad discusses what it means and what it takes to live a large life. One of his points that stood out to me the most is not only how to live largely but also how to dream big. I cannot remember the last time I let myself dream out loud without reality and fear silencing me. My dad mentioned how I dreamed of being an author at the time that he wrote his book. I wanted to write children's book and illustrate my stories. At the time, it did not matter to me that being an author was not the most "practical" job. Writing is what I loved to do; it was my passion---my dream job.

I think there is something magical about children who dream. They do not let fear or society tell them no. Children believe that their dreams are the real world. As I have grown up my dreams have changed. I am thankful for parents who support every dream I have. Their encouragement continues to water the seed planted in me long ago. Right now I am pursuing another dream that is near to my heart. I am currently a sophomore at Lee University pursuing a bachelor's degree in psychology. This dream of studying psychology and hope to someday become a counselor was birthed in me shortly after my dad passed away. I want to help people connect with themselves, express themselves, and help them find healing in the process. I know that in my darkest season of life all I truly wanted was someone to see, hear, and understand my heart that was full of pain. I am filled with excitement when I think about being that person for someone else. All I want out of this life is to help others know the fullness of God's love for them.

I am glad that I am beginning to feel freedom to dream again. "Dream big. Live Large." A phrase my dad often use to say and a way he would sign his books. I remind myself of this and use it as my own personal mantra. Sometimes it easy to feel small, insignificant in this world. However, the simple truth of living a large life and dreaming big dreams will bring you back to a place of awe and wonder---a place of opportunity. As I continue to dream, I am brought back to the same prophecy mentioned earlier. I think about what I would actually write. Would I incorporate some of dad's writing into the book? How does my dad relate to it anyway? Does he relate to it at all? How and when will it all come together? While I ask these questions I cannot help but feel in my spirit that this prophecy, this book, does not have much to do with my earthly father at all. Rather, it has everything to do with my Heavenly Father. Seeing myself, life, and God's kingdom through the eyes of my Father in Heaven.

I am still unsure of what this means or when it will happen but I am confident that God's promise will be fulfilled. In this next season of my life, I am confidently stepping into a season of big dreams, believing in a big God who is faithful to do big things.

- Dream big. Live Large.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come As You Are

Waiting with Patience and Expectancy

You are His and He is Yours