Waiting with Patience and Expectancy

I was thinking about waiting and how difficult it can be. It never seems to get easier even the more you wait. This thought lead me to reflect on the season I currently find myself in. It feels as if I am waiting and waiting and waiting. I thought to myself, "This isn't the first time you've waited and it certainly won't be the last." In every season I feel as if I am constantly waiting for answers, direction, the right person to come along, and I continue to wait and wait and wait--you get it by now, right? So why is it so difficult to wait? Perhaps it is because it feels like we are lacking or missing out on something. Maybe our human nature's struggle to be still. Or maybe we are simply just bored. We are constantly looking to move forward; never content right where we are in the present. The truth is that we are an impatient people. Psalm 46 says, "Be still and know." Why can't we be still and know? The key is to be still, cease striving and let God be exalted. Let go and trust in the God of all the earth.

Do you know what I think is different about this season of waiting in my life? My heart. My prayer isn't "Lord, teach me how to wait." Rather it is, "Lord, teach me how to be patient as I seek and wait for you." Patience. That is the difference. The Lord patiently waits for his children with open arms and an open heart ready to receive them. Why is it so hard for us to do the same? Instead, we are impatient and frustrated with the Lord. Asking God, why aren't you speaking or moving? Don't you see me or hear me? How much longer do I have to wait? Maybe our prayer should be, "Speak, Lord your servant is listening."

I read a book not to long ago by Jen Wilkin entitled In His Image. One of the chapters was called "God Most Patient." This verse stood out to me while I was reading: 2 Peter 3:9,  "The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. Instead, He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." Jen Wilkin made a few statements about God most patient that punched me in the gut and slapped me in the face. I'll leave them here for you to reflect on as well:

  • "Christians are people of delayed gratification, awaiting a future hope and foregoing comfort in the present."
  • "God's patience implies expectancy."
  • "Patience is not just the ability to wait but to abide."

I read another commentary on this verse that described it like this: "Wait on the Lord as an expectant mother waits for her child." I think when we wait we assume that we've done something wrong. As if the Lord is withholding from us. But it is not like our Father to withhold because He freely gives. Perhaps all that we are doing wrong is not waiting with expectancy. The Lord is patient with us. Lord, I pray that as you are patient with us, You'll help us to patiently wait for you.

During this time of uncertainty, we all are waiting. We are waiting for our lives to resume, for the virus to subside, for our government to provide us answers and direction, and for lives to be healed and restored. I want all of the same things as you, but what I don't want is for us to take this time that we have been given for granted. May we seek him diligently, wait for him patiently, and listen for his voice. Trust these words, "Be still and know that I am your God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth" (Ps. 46: 10).

Friends, be patient. Expect the Lord to be faithful in fulfilling his purpose for you and his kingdom. When the storms in your life and this world are all said and done, He will be exalted.


Comments

  1. “I think when we wait we assume that we’ve done something wrong”... goooood stuff! love these thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Come As You Are

You are His and He is Yours